We just found out last week that we will be staying an additional year in Ireland. Hurray! We are excited that the adventure will continue. So, Danny decided that we each needed to adopt an Irish name. True Irish names have the gaelic spelling and phonetically it doesn’t work. (In my mind anyway. It is probably logical to many whose brains function an a higher level than mine.) Here are our new identities: (pronunciation included)
• Madison is Eire (Air uh) Her real middle name anyway. (Originally Danny wanted to call her Emer [Eemer]. However, considering she is too little to understand yet another name- I vetoed that.
• Emery is Ailis (Ay lish). She picked her own name.
• Claire is Clare. Claire refused to choose an Irish name (even when Danny recommended the lovely Derblah) so we let her keep her given name as it is the name of one of the counties in the Republic of Ireland.
• Shelby is Ciara (Keerah). She wanted to be Naoise (Neesha) but later changed her mind.
• Jake is Rory. (Which incidentally is the name of an adorable two year old african/irish boy at church who has cute little corn rows. I immediately think of him when I hear the name…)
• Kailey is Aoife (Ee fah).
• Danny is Eoin (Own). I voted for Dermott and got vetoed.
• I am Siobhan (Shiv ahn). Every body else got to choose their names except me. Danny chose for me. Oh well- (I refused Derblah too.)
• Mimi is Roshene. (This may be more English than Irish- but Danny felt that it was a name that needed to be used!) Now her entire name is Mimi Nicole Roshene Carrell.
We are happy to give you an Irish name too! Just let us know if you’re interested…
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi its sophie! i think giving yourself an irish name is really cool! if i had an irish name it would be Cara!
Post a Comment