After school on Tuesday, Jake didn't look great and by bedtime I was a bit concerned. He had vomited and his abdomen hurt. I did a few checks and was worried that he might have appendicitis. Since it was late, I just prayed that he would be okay until morning.
To make a long story shorter- after visiting our family doctor on Wednesday and her confirming my fears- Jake and I headed to The Children's University Hospital on Temple Street in Dublin. We arrived at 12:30 and were admitted and up to Jake's room by 7:00p.m.

Jake in "CASUALTY" - we would call it the E.R.

Jake was really good while his IV or his "Freddie" (as the nurses called it) was put in. Or maybe his mom was just really good at getting his attention away from what was happening.

A view of Jake's room from the entrance to his room.
Because Jake was coughing and had vomited- they were afraid that he was contagious, so he had an entire ward all to himself. (I was coughing more than Jake and I am thankful that I don't have to worry that I infected anyone else! Hooray for isolation!)

Jake watching a movie on my laptop.
The surgeons weren't convinced that it was Jake's appendix. There were just a few things that didn't match up. He had pain in his right lower abdomen- but only with movement and it wasn't excruciating. He only vomited once. When they asked him to jump up and down- it didn't bother him too much. So, they wanted to watch him overnight just to make sure.

By morning they had mostly decided that it was Mesenteric Adenitis. It often follows after a person has a sore throat (and he did over the weekend). They let us go home before dinner. We were both very happy to say goodbye to the hospital.
Personally, I think all of the prayers in Jake's behalf- especially from his sisters- and many others are what made a huge difference. We are surrounded by such good people here. I had several friends who jumped in and helped us out in so many ways. My children at home were well cared for. We had lovely dinners brought over to our family. Women took my healthy children to and from school. Another friend not only offered to stay the night, but took the day off of work to stay with my little girls on Thursday all day. Others brought Jake magazines and I had so many texts from people who were concerned about Jake and wondering what they could do to help. I am so thankful for these amazing women who went above and beyond the call of duty to help our family out. I have never been in such a situation without family members close by to help me. I am very indebted to these very Christlike women for their love, their concern and all they did for us. I know it wasn't a big deal to them- but it was huge to me. Thank you!
Now, Danny is home and Jake is doing great. We just need to get Shelby, Madison and I healthy. There's always something...
1 comment:
glad your Jake is ok! i can't get over how much he looks like Dennis. ever notice that??
Post a Comment