Ireland is a unique place to be. There are things are extremely different from the USA. Some of these things are annoying- but there are a few that I truly love. The Christmas Season includes many of these things. First of all- it is completely okay to say "Merry Christmas!" (or Happy Christmas if you want to be more Irish.) The Christmas break from school is the Christmas Break. (Not winter recess.) They also celebrate the true reason for the season. What a novel idea! Yesterday was the last day of school for Kailey, Jake, Shelby and Claire. At Sutton Park School- this means it is play day. Literally! Danny and I watched 4 different plays and our kids were in 3 of them. Claire's play was, "Robin's Christmas Sing Along." It was Christmas as seen through the eyes of a robin. Claire was one of the carolers and she had a few lines that she and another little boy sang together. Claire is wonderful. She just stood up on the stage and sang her little heart out as if no one was watching her. Shelby's play was "Pinocchio" and she was Jiminy Cricket. As far as we were concerned- she stole the show. (Take that for what it is worth- we are her parents remember...) She spoke up so everyone could hear her and used a lovely little English accent. It was great. Jake and Kailey were both in "Panto Pandemonium." A Panto is an English Christmas play that is usually a twist on a fairytale that includes slapstick humor and songs. The panto was really cute. Neither Kailey or Jake had big parts in their play- but were great singers. In the evening, the school had their annual carol service at the local Catholic Church. As we had 3 kids who were not feeling well (Jake, Shelby and Claire), I stayed home with the 5 youngest and Danny went and supported Kailey. (He really needed to go. Last year he got a work call 5 minutes into the program and was present for only the last 5 minutes of the service. He has been in trouble with Kailey for a year.) However, I did hear the Intermediate School practice so it was like I was almost there. Kailey had two of her friends over after school and I made them sing my favorite song for me. The song is called "The Carpenter." It is so beautiful- it always makes me cry.
WARNING! These are 12 year old girls singing this and being silly. (I told Kailey that I was sending this to Grandma Nef so she would behave.) Just listen to the words and imagine how beautiful it would be when sung by a choir of children singing from the heart... Or you can laugh at these crazy girls and see our cute baby. The Carrells do wish you a very Merry Christmas and lots of your favorite things!
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Quite the trio. Thanks for the blog. It is a fun and easy way to keep track of your family.
hi diane daniel shelby jake claire emery madison kailey and mimi i cant belive you put that video of me on the internet how embarassing i look ridiculous i love your website it is so cool!
love you all KIRSTEN NAGLE!!!!!!!
I am baffled as to why Kailey would clean up her face and act like a normal kid singing when Diane said she was going to send the song video to Grandma Nef....what would she have done if Diane had said she was going to send it to Grand Carrell???
Anyway, Aoife, I would like an explanation!!
Tell Sophie I think she is getting an American accent.
Good blog Diane (Sibohan)...Love Grandma Carrell
Post a Comment