Every year, Sutton Park School has a Global Feast Day. Since the school has lots of international students, each family is encouraged to bring some type of food to celebrate. The kids love it because it's a non uniform day and they get to eat lots of fun (unhealthy) food. (There is always healthy food, but...)
The school looks amazing!
This is the front entry to the school.
I thought these flags were perfect together as I provided Snickerdoodles (go U-S-A!) and Enchiladas (Viva Mexico!).
A view of the front entry from the other direction.
Yum.
Sweet Claire with a pretty healthy selection of foods.
Shelby and Eline (Shelby's food- not so healthy. Too bad you can't see Jake's plate. It was loaded with cookies, cakes and cupcakes. Uggh.)
BFFs
Whenever it is a non-uniform day at Sutton Park, you have to pay for the privilege. The kids pay for their food, but all the proceeds go directly to the Chimteka Children Support (CCS). Chimteka is a cluster of villages in Malawi. I learned this on the CCS Website, "Malawi is one of the 10 poorest countries in the world with nearly 70% of the people below the poverty line. In recent years the country has been ravaged by famine and malnutrition and decimated by the scourge of aids. Nearly one third of the children under the age of five are HIV positive and 30% are orphaned." Sutton Park School has been working with the charity for several years. They've helped with digging wells, building a school and library. The kids told me that this year they were helping buy books for the library.
I love Global Feast Day because I think it is great that the kids get to try new foods and see some different cultures. I love that they teach my children about others who are not nearly as blessed. Our children are happy to give their money to this worthy cause and are so excited when they find out how much money was raised for the children of Chimteka. (Last year they raised 1,140 euros.) Thanks Sutton Park for supporting the children of Chimteka and helping make a difference. Thank you for helping my children see the world with different eyes. (Count your blessings. Name them one by one...)
No comments:
Post a Comment