Friday, October 17, 2008

Cruising the MED- Day 1

We got to bed a bit late last night- so morning came too soon. Since it was my birthday I felt justified in sleeping in (actually I was feeding the baby and fell back asleep). We had 2 taxis coming to take us to the airport at 5:30 a.m. I opened my eyes at 5:10 and told Danny to hurry up! So, we rushed. The driver of the 1 taxi that showed up (luckily it was a large van and we and our luggage all fit) made sure that all were present and accounted for. We were all on the same wavelength when he mentioned a Home Alone movie.

A nice man at the Dublin Airport helped us get our boarding passes and get the luggage on the way. Then, cute Madison melted another employee’s heart and we got to go through the quick line through security. By this point, of course, I realized that we didn’t get our stroller and a couple of other things. Oh well! Things were going too good- so, our Terrorist in Training (T.I.T.) aka Shelby Lee Carrell, age 8- made things exciting. Shelby’s backpack had to go through the xray twice! She had 3 bottles of water and 2 pairs of scissors. (However, her TIT classes have paid off- one pair of scissors went by undetected.)

Our flight to Rome was mostly pleasant, except that K, J, and S all sat together. This was great until there were 30 minutes left of the plane ride and they realized that they were being way too nice to each other. So, after a few minor arguments and some general nastiness, Danny reviewed the Carrell Family Vacation Rules. (They mostly deal with happiness, kindness and the making of really fun memories.)

We met up with Cheri and Dawn (who bragged about their flights in first class the entire way!) and finally got our luggage, got a snack, got money for the Arizonan contingent and headed to Civitavecchia. We had a lovely little drive in a minibus and Dawn and Cheri brought great treats (chex mix and no bake cookies).

The Carnival Splendor (our ship) is HUGE! We made it through the fire/ emergency drill (although Cheri and Dawn cheated and stayed in their room and almost got caught) without incident. We cast off some time during dinner (which was very nice) and most of us are feeling really good. Poor Dawn put on a scopolamine patch before we got on the ship and she has thrown up some really cool neon yellow fluid. (I’m a nurse, remember?!) However, after the second hurling (and I am not referring to the Irish sport here) she immediately ate a piece of pizza and drank a diet coke. So, I think it’s safe to say that she’s feeling okay. The kids think that the bunk beds are really cool and I am thankful for connecting rooms. It really is quite nice.

It’s been a good day. I even had two candles in my chocolate cake after dinner and my family and the waiters sang to me. I have 6 healthy, beautiful kids, a wonderful husband and other family and friends who are really too good to me. I am extremely blessed.

We’re off to Pompeii in the morning!

No comments: