So, technically we are now cruising the Aegean Sea. I would like to know where the dividing line is between the Mediterranean and the Aegean. Anyway...
We headed to Ephesus bright and early this morning (it felt like it anyway). The trip from Izmir to Ephesus took about an hour. Of course, we had a bathroom break midway. All of the Carrells got off except for Madison and I. Before anyone disembarked from the bus, the tour guide told us that we had only 5 minutes- so hurry. All of the other passengers were back on the bus except the Carrell contingent. I watched to see where they were, and finally here they came- all running for the bus. First the little girls and Dawn, then Cheri, Jake and Kailey followed by Danny in the rear. He was carrying a bag. As Grandpa Carrell would say- it was a pogey run stop. All of the Carrells had treats. (No one else on the bus did.) Our first stop was to the home of the Virgin Mary. There is a very tiny basilica (church) built where Mary is supposed to have lived at the end of her life. There are several water fountains close to the church that have drinkable water that is reported to be healing water. Dawn was looking forward to this shore excursion. (She rubbed some water on her tummy.) Danny hurt his arm last week and even went to the ship’s doctor (got an injection in his hiney and some relatively heavy painkillers). So, Danny put a bit of water on the affected area and the swelling is going down and is less painful. The church is at the very top of this mountain that overlooks Ephesus and the area really is beautiful. The trees are gorgeous and the landscaping is really pretty.
Then we headed down to Ephesus. I have great memories of Ephesus from my other trip to Turkey and I was not disappointed! The streets still are covered with marble and it is really beautiful. The city of Ephesus was built 3 times. The last one- the one we saw- was founded about 300 B.C. It was a very important area- the capital city of Asia Minor and a thriving seaport on the Aegean Sea. However, the river that emptied into the bay brought with it lots of silt and filled up the bay. They attempted cleaning it out- but gave up at some point and moved the city to a different location. Ephesus was the home of the Temple of Diana and also had a population of 200,000 people. Because it was the capital city, the senate met here and many influential people lived here. Ephesus was Homer’s (think the Odyssey and the Iliad) hometown.
The archeologists are trying to reconstruct the city so you can see what it was like. The most impressive building is the Library. The façade is incredible and you can walk in it to see what it would have been like. Amazing! The main street of Ephesus starts at the top of a hill and then you walk down it and see all the amazing things and finish at the Theatre. Our tour guide (Usay) was less than exciting, but we found out some interesting things from him and also eavesdropping on other groups. I found it fascinating that the early Christians didn’t openly tell people that they were Christians- but they put the sign of the Christians in the marble in front of their stores and homes. Once I knew this- I watched the marble a bit closer. The theatre could hold 24,000 people and my imagination still can just see it!
The kids got a bit bored- but they got no sympathy from their mother. I told them that this was one place that I was most looking forward to seeing and if they wanted to complain then they needed to go away because I was NOT going to listen to them. Someday they will thank me for taking them to Ephesus… (I hope).
Of course, we had to do just a bit of shopping. The girls got lovely Turkish hats (with veils) and jingly sashes. Jake added to his knife collection. I got a fun bracelet. Danny got the satisfaction of knowing that his family loves him.
Back on the ship, Danny, Jake, Kailey and Shelby had a quick game of putt putt. Claire and Emery played on the bunk beds (and Em fell down the ladder), and Madi and I just hung out. Grandma and Dawn took a little rest (we are not easy traveling companions).
Tomorrow we visit Istanbul! (We already know that 18 million people live there.) Things might be bizarre at the grand bazaar!
No comments:
Post a Comment