Friday, October 10, 2008

PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!


Our trip to Portugal was fabulous! I knew virtually nothing about Portugal and the Algarve area until we were almost visiting there. Now I can tell you that it is gorgeous. The weather was warm and we got to see a lot of sunshine! (Which isn't necessarily the case in Ireland...)
We flew into Faro on Wed. the 17th in the evening and drove to our apartment at Rocha Brava in Carvoeiro. Thank heavens for the Sat Nav! We enjoyed 4 lovely days in the Algarve. We saw a very old castle in Silves, walked around Lagos a bit and spent a fun day at Zoomarine (think Sea World on a much smaller scale). One great adventure was aboard a pirate ship! We were able to see the caves along the coast up close on a little boat. The caves were really amazing- but after the 3rd (of 8 or 9), I was ready to head back to the big ship. Let's just say that a sailor's life really isn't the life for me.


The beaches were amazing. We found a little beach just a 2 minute drive from our aparment. You had to walk down about 100 stairs and go through a cave and then all of a sudden you walked out of the cave and there was this pristine little beach. It was protected on two sides by high cliff walls (with more caves to investigate) and there was even this beautiful tiny island out in the water that made the view incredible!

I don't know if we have the european mentality. Okay- I know we don't have the european mentality! I am just not okay with topless bathers (especially women who are old enough to be grandmothers)!!! Oh well...
We also went to what our family called Sand City. It was full of sand sculptures- all about hollywood and movies. The sculptures were incredible!

Would we go back to Portugal? Absolutely!

1 comment:

Tami said...

wow! looks stunning! i want to go to that little beach... Did you hear we are getting a girl this time around?? YAY!