Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stepping out and UP in Zermatt


My sweet sister Nancy came to visit us and it was so great! Traveling to and from Dublin was a nightmare for her (Salt Lake to Chicago- missed flight to Dublin- so went to London and THEN to Ireland... her luggage didn't make it until the next day...) but we were so glad that she came! We spent less than 24 hours on the Emerald Isle before whisking her away to Switzerland. Traveling again proved to be more than exciting. Emery was feeling better (see older post) but Claire wasn't quite herself and Madison was really sick. We took an extra outfit for me and 3 extra outfits for Madi (to be used as backup on the plane and train) and I believe we used them all plus two blankets. It was a rough day for the little angel- but she wasn't very upset- just puky. (It's a miracle Nancy ever comes to visit.)
After arriving in Zermatt in the evening, a taxi took us to the apartment we had rented. He stopped the taxi and said, "Okay, just follow the stairs." We were a bit surprised to see how many steps there were. Just a few less than 200! (I think the actual number was 193.) I believe that we had 8 suitcases and several backpacks/ carryons. I overheard Jake say, "Think Rocky. Think Rocky." We hummed the song and made it up the stairs! (Danny did the majority of the heavy work. What a man.)

The upside was that the view from the apartment was truly spectacular! The Matterhorn is gorgeous! Zermatt did not disappoint us. The weather was wonderful and the sunshine was splendid.

We had a wonderful time going sledding!

Shelby and Claire in their matching snowsuits. Claire tried skiing this time and Shelby spent a lot of time on her skis. She is doing well!

Emery also tried skiing but prefered just hanging out in the snow- and she looked so cute in her sunglasses! (That sun was so bright!)

Madison didn't feel super great during our trip (it took a full 5 days for her to get over that nasty tummy bug) but she was so pleasant most of the time. What a little sweetie.

Danny, Kailey and Jake tried out snowboarding. They looked great and agreed that the boots are much more comfy... but have decided that they will stick with skiing. (Danny was thankful for Ibuprofen for a day or two afterward. Kailey sprained her wrist and wore a splint for two weeks...) I even got to ski. It has been 9 years since I had the opportunity. I truly enjoyed my time. It was absolutely breathtaking. It was quiet. I realized again how amazing this beautiful world is.

Zermatt is winter paradise. We loved our second visit! It was even better having Nancy with us!

No comments: