Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Cliffs of Moher

Actual post date April 18, 2010.

Danny's parents were supposed to get to Ireland on April 15th and we planned to go to Galway and the Cliffs of Moher for an overnight getaway. (Since we have seen loads of Europe but little of Ireland...) Sadly, their flight from Philadelphia only made it halfway across the Atlantic before they turned around and went back. So- we decided to go without them.

We picked the kids up at lunchtime and headed west.

If you are a geologist- you will be thrilled with this picture.

It's a bit hazy but that hill is made of limestone that was formed thousand of years ago. It doesn't look that amazing (here) but it is part of a national park so that it can't be destroyed. Kailey had all of her geography notes so we read up on it and this is an important part of Ireland.


The Cliffs of Moher- you might remember them as the Cliffs of Insanity from the Princess Bride.


O'Brien's Tower was built in 1835 and overlooks the cliffs (the original owner felt like tourism was important to Ireland- even then. I also read something that said the he also used this tower to impress women...)


Kailey the gymnast.


Shelby by the tower.


Cute Claire


Emery climbing the gate!


Madi on the fence (I promise I was just outside the camera- ready to grab her!)


The boys who love to live on the edge.


What can I say?


6 cute kids hiding in the grass.





I love these people.

Quotes from our trip...

The roads were windy and our shocks are bad... "Dad, can Mom please drive? You're driving gives me a headache." (K)

"I can't hear anything. The computer's not working." (They didn't have the headphones in the right hole.)

"Do we have anything to eat?" Jake (I showed him what we had...) "I don't want the squished up crackers." (10 minutes later...) "Can you pass the crackers please?" J

"NO WAY!!!" "Hold me NOW!" Madi- (She was bold the whole trip. I guess this is what you get with a two year old.)

"Can you please turn up the air?" "Is the air conditioner on?" "I'm feeling sick." Shelby- "Are any vents pointing your way?" Us... "No." Shelby (Well point them your direction!)

"DAD! Please!!!!"

"How much longer does the sat-nav(GPS) say?"

Our kids are great little travelers- just not in a car.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Question: ARE YOU GUYS EVER HOME????? :)

You officially earn the title of Mother of the Year -- all that traveling! Wowser! :)