Monday, May 24, 2010

La Spezia and Pisa

Our 4th port of call was La Spezia, Italy. From here you can explore Tuscany, Florence and Pisa. This was our first port where we were tendered. That means that the ship docked in the bay of La Spezia and then boats would take the passengers off the ship in groups to the shore. It was a short boat ride- maybe 10-15 minutes.



Grandpa, Grandma and the kids on the boat.

La Spezia is where the Italian Navy have their ships.


More of us as we are tendering in.


This picture doesn't do it justice. It was beautiful.

When we went on our other cruise, the kids stayed on the boat while we toured around Pisa and Florence. We thought they would enjoy Pisa. Plus- you can't be this close to Pisa and NOT see it.


There is more than just the tower here. From L-R: The Baptistry, the Basilica, and the tower.
There were lots of people there- but I think it is just beautiful.


My three eldest daughters. Aren't they cute?


They were really good at recycling! They used the old marble bricks to build the new buildings. (You can see something in latin on this brick here. They used the parts from the Roman temples, etc.)


All the Carrells


Here we are! It was a beautiful day and so fun to be there with everyone. (Of course we have pictures of all the kids holding up the tower- but I chose not to put them all here.)

The Italian countryside is just beautiful. We saw the mountains where they get Carrara Marble.

We also saw this beautiful village on top of this mountain. Again- my camera didn't do it justice.

We walked around La Spezia for a few minutes after our tour of Pisa. Sadly, the only thing I wanted from Italy was a few boxes of Cioccolata. (The hot chocolate that calls my name in several different languages...) We couldn't find a supermarket close by and I decided against getting a taxi and spending any additional money. So, I left Italy without my beloved cioccolata BUT- we had fun in Pisa. Then we headed back to the ship.


Emery, Madi and Grandma with our ship in the background.


Disney MAGIC!!!

That evening, after the ship started sailing, Emery and Claire and I were in our room and we looked out to see what we were passing. It was beautiful!


Cute Emery with some cool islands behind her.


I love this picture! They really are sweet- but the background looks completely fake! It wasn't! And the sea looks as smooth as glass.

Thanks for another wonderful adventure Italy!

No comments: