Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gaudi was a Genius- Barcelona Day 2

One reason why Barcelona never really appealed to me was that I am not overly impressed with Spanish painters, etc. (Sorry, but Picasso has never been a favorite...) I had seen pictures of some of the buildings designed by Antonio Gaudi, but was really not impressed. Then I saw them in person...


This is the Casa Batllo and it is really cool looking. (We saw it from the bus.)


Here is another one- called "La Pedrera" - also very interesting.

Saturday morning we decided to go to the Sagrada Familia Church. If you go to Barcelona- you have to see this. Gaudi started building this church in 1882 and it is still not finished. They are hoping to have it completely finished by 2026. Maybe because I had no expectations, I was completely amazed by how fascinating this place is. We walked out of the subway, saw a huge line and looked up- this is what we saw...


This is the Passion facade of the Church (there are four different facades- I didn't know this and we completely missed the Nativity side.) {Look up between the towers- you can see the resurrected Christ ascending to heaven.}


This is a close up of the Passion Facade. I can just tell you that pictures do not even capture a portion of how amazing this building is. I stood there with my mouth open- looking up and shaking my head.



All of us in front of the Sagrada Familia (Sacred Family Church).

After seeing the church we headed to the Parc Guell. A man by the last name of Guell became Gaudi's patron and had him do a lot of work for him. Gaudi designed a park for Mr. Guell.


By the entrance of the park


This walkway is really cool looking.

So we had to take a picture on it. (We're on the top and it's a bit of a way down. We were holding on to the kids!)


Another view of the walkway.


Claire and Madi


Shelby and Grandma.
This is the gate that leads out of the park. If it is pushed back- it becomes part of the wall.


A classic pick up your poop sign! (It only says "Gracias")


Danny and Madison (in classic form) as we left the park. You can see the entrance to the park as well.

Thank you Antonio Gaudi for making such amazing structures for us to see!

1 comment:

Tami said...

looks like a blast as always! they need some of those pick up your poop signs around here. we always find dog poop on our front lawn...