
Grandma and Grandpa Nef are salt of the earth people. They aren't as young as they once were, but can still outwork most people I know- (including me.) These grandparents have 35 grandchildren + 10 (almost 11- my nephew is getting married this weekend) spouses of grandkids + 6 GREAT grandchildren (and there is one more on the way).
Grandma and Grandpa Carrell are newly retired and enjoying the feeling of freedom they are loving. They have 6 grandchildren (with one on the way- yea Jill!). While these grandparents are hard workers, they love to have fun.
Grandpa and Claire on one of the horses. Grandpa loves his horses and can still hang upside down on the rings. (I think this is quite a feat when you are 86.)
Grandma and Grandpa Nef work in the Twin Falls Temple two days every week. They served a mission in Singapore, Malaysia and India. They don't just go to church- they live what they believe. My dad doesn't talk a lot. He doesn't have to- his example speaks volumes.
Grandma and Kailey. Grandma enjoys sewing and especially loves to quilt. She still bakes homemade bread and cookies frequently.
Just this week, some women pointed out some characteristics that they admired in my mother. She was not pleased. As she said, "I don't want them holding me up as an example!" I just laughed at her and told her, "Well, mom then you are living the wrong way."
Aunt Nancy, Madison and Grandpa (the farm 2009)
Grandpa and Grandma Nef are really good at making people feel important. I know several of my cousins who will go out of their way to spend time with Aunt Faye and Uncle LaMar. These grandparents try hard to be at every important milestone. I don't think they have missed very many blessings, baptisms, graduations, or weddings. They are concerned about each individual in their family and hope that all of their descendants will grow up to be faithful, hard working people. When I talk to my parents, I am reminded of things that I need to remember and also to teach my children.
Grandpa and Emery at Busch Gardens.
Grandpa and Grandma Carrell also love their family and would do anything for them. They just do it a bit differently. Time spent with their family is the most important thing in their lives. They visit frequently (as frequent as they can when we live far away) and make everything fun. We will never forget Grandpa's fart machine at the family party. Along that same line, several years ago, Grandma bought each of our kids their own whoopie cushion. (The kids LOVED them!)
Shelby and Grandma at a park in Barcelona.
Grandma and Grandpa Carrell love adventure. We have lots of fun memories of time spent with these grandparents in some amazing places.
These grandparents also make people feel important and look for opportunities to help people out. Many years ago, Danny told me that his mom is the most Christ-like woman he knows. She is definitely in my top three. Grandma Carrell can talk to anyone and has never met a stranger. Grandma cleaned houses for years. I don't think she did it because she needed the money (although I'm sure it was nice) but because she loved helping people.
Grandpa and Jake in Monte Carlo.
Grandpa and Grandma Carrell are patriots. Grandpa served in the Army for 20 years and Grandma cheered him on. He shared some of his experiences in Vietnam (stories of flying Helicopters) and Alaska (what happens in subzero temperatures) with us last week. I am proud to be an American when I listen to Grandpa Carrell. I am thankful for men and women who continue to serve!
The Carrell kids with Grandma and Grandpa Nef.
The Carrell kids with Grandpa and Grandma Carrell.
I hope my children are paying attention to these great people. And to the grandparents- THANK YOU for being who you are! (Sorry Mom, but you are a great example.)
3 comments:
i have the biggest crush on Grandma and Grandpa Nef - EVER. SO love them!! i hope they live to be 200 years old.
love LOVE this post! grandparents are the best and even though mine have all passed on, Grandma's and Grandpa's Nef and Finlayson have always made me feel special. LOVE THEM!
i love and respect your parents a lot. i wouldn't trade my first 14 years north of rupert for anything...the people there are just fabulous.
and your in-laws sound terrific.
Post a Comment