Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thanks Janice Kapp Perry

Most evenings, before and after the little girls (Claire, Emery and Madison) pray- Danny and I sing them Primary songs (Primary is the Children's program in our church). Their usual repertoire is "Scripture Power" followed by their prayers, then "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" and we hope to be finished. However, sometimes there are extra requests. Madi is having a hard time going to sleep in her own bed- so if she is in her bed we will sing whatever she wants. A few months ago, we sang "The Wheels on the Bus" almost every night. Now we alternate between "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree" and "Horsey, Horsey."

Tonight, Madi was already in bed with Kailey. (She will walk into Kailey and Shelby's room and with her saddest face she will say to Kailey, "Didi- can I sleep in your bed?" Kailey is a pushover and will let her hop in - as long as we come and move Madi to her own bed after she falls asleep.) So- we sang the regular songs and Danny left the room. As I was leaving, Claire requested "A Child's Prayer." This is one of my favorite primary songs. When I used to lead the music in Primary- I would love to hear the little children asking if Heavenly Father hears and answers their prayers. The first verse says:

Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Heavenly Father, I remember now
Something that Jesus told disciples long ago:
"Suffer the children to come to me."
Father, in prayer I'm coming now to thee.

So, tonight I sang the song. As I sang the second verse and was looking at my sweet little 7 year old's face- the words touched my heart.

Pray, he is there;
Speak, he is list'ning.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;
He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav'n.

Then, I kissed two sweet little girls goodnight and thought about how their room felt like it was a little piece of heaven. So- thank you Janice Kapp Perry for writing such a beautiful song and helping me remember how great it is to be a mom.

3 comments:

Artsy Aut said...

That song makes me cry every time! It is a sweet song.

JoAnn said...

We love that song too. Amazing how many times our kids request to sing it in FHE. <3

Ellen said...

this just reminds me that i need to be more patient at bedtime with my boy. singing primary songs is a wonderful idea. thanks for a beautiful post Diane x